From Trek DB
- Method of modifying signal or field in order to secure or strengthen it or obscure its origin (ENT: "Shadows of P'Jem", "Detained"; VOY: "Nothing Human", "Unimatrix Zero", "Workforce, Part II", "Author, Author")
- Judging by name, likely involves modification over three axes
- Varying polarization on all three axes rending counter-agents harder to match?
- For shields, given that weapon frequency key in penetrating shields, such variation likely to increase strength, possibly increase energy diffusion
- For signal, must obscure originating vector in some form